Quantcast The AntFarm Affiliates blog [has moved]: Reality Bites!!
| d_Cyphernauts | Expertiz | Phenetiks | Workforce | Sketch Tha Cataclysm |
| Cee Reed | The Rising Sun Quest | Spaz the Working Class | Pruven |

Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Reality Bites!!

Whats good people,

So this past Sunday I was really feeling good about myself right. 2:00 I had an interview with channel 12 in Stamford. I was in this big TV studio with the lights and cameras and all that Jazz. Well fed and Fresh off a couple positive myspace messages. I was part of a conversation on the History of Hip Hop and it turned out pretty well so I was flying high.
After the interview I headed to "Fame City" in Bridgeport to meet up with this cool cat from out there who has a clothing line and wanted to sponsor me by hitting me with some gear so I could rock at the shows. It's not a prob cause I'm feeling what he's doing with his movement. Spreading a positive message with his fashion while I do it with my music. Peace to Selfmathematiks by the way.
So I walk into "Fame City" which is a dope ass spot where they do legal graffiti. It was a bright sunny day and as I headed towards the open area full of people tagging these dope pieces on the walls, in the distance I can hear my album blasting out of a black SUV. Wow! It was such a dope feeling.
So I met the dude I was talking about who was gonna hit me with the shirts. We built for a minute and exchanged packs of flyers so we can help promote each others causes. As I walked around to the different graffiti artists, one looks at me and says "yo, I know you from somewhere. Do you write?" I said, "not on walls but I write rhymes ... lol." He smiled and said "your the Sun right, they call you the sun or sun rising right?" I laughed and replied "yea, I'm the rising sun Quest." I was shocked as he told me he had my second album "Surviving Life" and then started rattling off the names of my tracks, concepts off the album and even recited verses from it. He talked about how dope the album was and how much he loved the it. He gave me mad props and all that.
So here I am fresh from Ch. 12 in the Graffiti Mecca of Bridgeport with my music blasting on a beautiful sunny day and a fan reciting my rhymes.

BUT THATS WHEN REALITY BITES!!

You see thats all good and everything, but when I asked If he wanted to buy the new album he said "awww come on man, I'm a fan. Cant I just get that shit?"

Trust me people. It's not about the money at all. I love to make music for you to listen to. It's the reason I invest my hard earned money in putting out my material and professionally packaged at that. So I love when people tell me how much my music has moved them. But the REALITY is that as an underground rapper I can't continue to put this music out If I press it up and give it away. The REALITY is that people aren't interested in supporting us local artists either. The REALITY is, How the hell am I supposed to sell music to someone who doesn't know Me if I can't sell it to someone who recites my Music.

Damn Reality BITES!!

9 comments:

Unknown said...

so....did you give him one?

Othello said...

yo- i just bought the album on i-tunes. it's worth every cent!

Labeless Illtelligence said...

Gotta love Hip Hop in the year 2008....

You either paid or past due....

Word.
peace.

Unknown said...

Ouch! He couldn't be a little bit more polite about it?

Sorry that ruined what sounded to me like a dope ass day.

risingsunquest.com said...

No I did not give him one. I invested money into this project so in order for me to continue making more projects I have to sell each on I can. However, its not all about the money. SO I gave him a flyer with information about my websights. If he really wants a free listen he can have one online. If he wants to support the cause he hsa to buy one.

risingsunquest.com said...

no.

This Profile Is No Longer in Use said...

But he's a fan though! Bahahaha
Hip Hop ain't dead, but its ribs are touchin like a muhfuka.

Labeless Illtelligence said...

Everyone wants something for nothing and somehow over the years the fine line between fan/participant/provider has been relinquished....

You're a (smarter) better man than me...I woulda just gave him one and glad that somebody actually knew and wanted my stuff enough to have the gaul to ask for one by stating "I'm a fan"....

Does homeboy understand that fans BUY things....

People, man, people.
Keep doing ya thing thing brother man.

peace.

TheProtege of Phenetiks said...

Yeah the reality is Fans buy music! and everything else the artists puts out.