Quantcast The AntFarm Affiliates blog [has moved]: PM4POP DAY 4 of 7: FREE THE RADIO
| d_Cyphernauts | Expertiz | Phenetiks | Workforce | Sketch Tha Cataclysm |
| Cee Reed | The Rising Sun Quest | Spaz the Working Class | Pruven |

Friday, August 10, 2007

PM4POP DAY 4 of 7: FREE THE RADIO

and so. . . . Free The Radio. . .
interesting track for a few reasons. . . lets start with the lyrics this time. . .

The Lyrics

I really over-thought the approach for this track. . . I wanted to do only one verse and have it repeat. . . make it have a chorus with a phrase that is repeated and have it basically be a gigantic display of what the radio does on a few levels. . .
I wanted to discuss the way in which the radio repeats messages continuously throughout the day by playing songs all with the same themes and then commercials that back up those messages, and then repeating those same songs and commercials alllllll daaaaaayyyy looooooongg. . . so I felt by explaining this in a verse that is repeated I was forcing an opposite message done in the same way as the radio but within the format of one song. . . I hope that didn't go over anybody's head. . . I just felt like a rap nerd typing that. . . but yeah. . . so that's Free The Radio. . . and I had a set rhymthic pattern for the rhyme that went directly to the Meters loop buried beneath the beat. . .

The Beat

The only thing not played out by me in the track is a loop buried beneath everything. . . I sat around in my house for a while got bored and decided I wanted to play everything that resembled an instrument in that room on a beat. I ended up playing flute, tambourine, maracas and shakers, djembe, chimes, and a guitar tuner thingy lol. . . but yea. . . fun joint I believe

The mixdown

This track was one of Deto's favorites and I think it really shows in the mixdown of the joint. . . so much so that I gave him a co-production credit for it. I think he really brought out my performance and really accentuated what I dug about the song. . . good shit Deto. He also had another layer of effect on it that was dismissed by my good friend Kristin during the session . . . that layer didn't appear on the final mix lol

check the track out here

or check the video of me performing it at a show I call the "rehearsal" show at The Space in Hamden. . . a very akward wednesday night in this past April. . . where there was a crowd of ten females lol. . . it was fun though. . . peace to Halo



Online Videos by Veoh.com

No comments: