Quantcast The AntFarm Affiliates blog [has moved]: PM4POP Day 6 of 7: The Fault Line
| d_Cyphernauts | Expertiz | Phenetiks | Workforce | Sketch Tha Cataclysm |
| Cee Reed | The Rising Sun Quest | Spaz the Working Class | Pruven |

Saturday, August 11, 2007

PM4POP Day 6 of 7: The Fault Line

I didn't really think I would be discussing the background of any of these songs when I started working on this cd. Most of the songs were written LOADED with info and spit rhythmically to allow the message to be taken in more-so after repeated listens. This song was written with a strict rhythmic pattern as well and was initially and still remains the one I want to explain least about.


The Concept

The basic idea of the song was to bring up the issue of the widening gap in social class in this country and the slow extermination of a middle class.

I chose to just tell the life stories of a rich man and a poor man without saying too much about them at all. Let the stories say things for me. And just to add a little something I had The Rising Sun Quest speak in Spanish over a bunch of percussion at the end about his interpretation of the concept.

now the beat. . .

The Beat

I really dig having the opportunity to sample the music of people I know. Beyond the emcees and producers, I am in contact with a large group of really incredible musicians and singer/songwriters. Very proud to know them.

This track in particular features a piano sample from my homegirl Larissa Delorenzo, an awesome singer/songwriter from Fairfield County, off of her song "Type Of People" from her cd Da Sola, a voice and instrument collection of her songs.

I combined those two piano sounds with a load of chopped up percussion samples ( check this out to witness chopping from a master), drums and bass from 3 different salsa songs.

The Mix

This track and the one following it almost didn't make the EP. The deadline was closing in and there was a few issues with being able to get this song recorded and mixed before the release date (see more on this in tommorow's post). Quest was able to squeeze in a session on the morning of Father's Day and we were able to get this done and then got on the grind with Spaz the Working Class and got a few different versions of mix-downs for both of the last songs done by the end of the night. I chose Quest's version for this song.

additional info

I struggled for a while with this track and being able to get my point across without coming off too preachy. I managed to squeeze in a little criticism about taxes, social security, and insurance. There was soooooo much that I wanted to say about these subjects but the song just really hasn't come to me yet. I also learned alot about the movement of people not paying income tax and that there is no law requiring you to pay a federal income tax or to fill out tax forms. As much as I wanted to include that stuff. . . I really just haven't found away to do it without going over everybody's heads or being too preachy.

peace and love y'all

No comments: