Quantcast The AntFarm Affiliates blog [has moved]: PM4POP Day 5 of 7: The Revolution Will Not Be. . .
| d_Cyphernauts | Expertiz | Phenetiks | Workforce | Sketch Tha Cataclysm |
| Cee Reed | The Rising Sun Quest | Spaz the Working Class | Pruven |

Friday, August 10, 2007

PM4POP Day 5 of 7: The Revolution Will Not Be. . .

I am very proud of this track. . .

The lyrics

The original concept for the song stemmed from a conversation I had with a co-worker of mine about the civil rights movement and push for revolution. This took place in the middle of this period were I emersed myself in literature on the lives of Stokely Carmicheal, Assata Shakur, Che, Fidel Castro, Ho Chi Minh, Huey, Bobby Seale, Fred Hampton, etc. etc. etc. so I was really really into discussing the topic. I landed upon the story of the Cuban revolution and the story of Patrice Lumumba. This sparked a discussion that slowly drifted to "why wouldn't a revolution work in this country today among it's own citizens?" And thus. . . the topic of the song. I wrote an essay on the topic citing the various reasons that I saw that the revolution would fail and decided I had to challenge myself by putting it into song form.

The next area was making the words have some sort of flow so that the message would sink in after repeated listens and then the last decision of beating the message into their heads by repeating the first verse. . . which leads me to the beat. . .

The Beat

Originally this song had a different beat. It was a funky slap bass, wah guitar, synth filled track with a chopped sample of Gil Scott Heron saying "The Revolution Will Not Be. . . be . . . be . . . be" and me saying "Hey!" on the 2 of every bar. Pretty dope. . . I still dig it.

One day I was watching a documentary on Bob Marley and caught a 5 second clip of one of his songs I never heard and immediately sought it out for samples. after making the track and dancing around for like 20 minutes lol playing it I decided to spit my lyrics that were over the original beat. Everything I spit ended up coming off in this melody of a twisted version of "Pass The Dutchie" lol that I was digging and there you go. . . bye bye original beat. . . and this became one of my favorite songs and my break out performance track.

The Revolution Will Not Be. . .

Add to My Profile More Videos

Sketch Show 6/23

Add to My Profile More Videos


p.s. he is saying "it takes a revolution. . . to make a solution"

peace and love y'all

1 comment:

Unknown said...

do you still have the original beat? woops...i almost wrote "beast" hehe.